Located in the South West Corner of South Dakota, in the Heart of the Black Hills, Custer Volunteer Fire Department was Established in 1879. We provide primary fire services to the City of Custer, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer State Park and Jewel Cave National Monument . Our total response area covers 400 square miles.
CVFD is an all volunteer fire station with 30 personnel. The department is headed by Fire Chief Jim Lyons II and two Assistant Chief’s Matt Spring and Brandon Mattson, the administrative office is staffed by Treasurer Matt White and Secretary Selena Spring.
“Leo Harbach Station” built in 1962, is located at 6th & Crook Streets in the middle of Custer City . CVFD is currently working on an assessment of our current facilities and apparatus to help us meet the demands of today’s fire service and our community needs.
Volunteer membership is available to citizens at least 18 years of age who are willing to donate their time and talents to helping the community. Membership categories are available for those who wish to pursue firefighting and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) activities, Fire Ground Support, and those who wish to help with administrative, fund raising and non-fire activities of the department. Applicants for membership must undergo a background check and physical exam provided by the department before acceptance.
We are dispatched on emergency calls by Custer County Communications Center which is part of a Combined Communications Facility including 911, County Sheriff, Fire, Rescue and EMS. Members are dispatched by tone alerting pagers and text paging.